|How to Say:||Steg-owe-sore-us|
|Name Meaning:||Hoofed roof lizard|
|First Discovered:||In 1877, a Stegosaurus was discovered in Morrison, Colorado|
|Size:||6 Feet Tall and 15 Feet Long|
|Weight:||2500lbs, the equivalent of 50 2nd Graders|
|How Old:||150 Million Years Ago in the Jurassic Period|
|Habitat:||Found in Western United States and Portugal|
|Diet:||Herbivore, it’s diet consisted of plants and small branches|
5 Quick Facts about the Stegosaurus
- The Stegosaurus had the brain size of a dog despite its enormous size.
- The Stegosaurus had two rows of about 10 plates each protruding from its back giving it a unique and famous look. These plates could be up to 2 feet long.
- The plates are through to deter predators or to regulate temperature.
- The tail of the Stegosaurus had pointed spikes that it could use as a weapon against predators.
- The Stegosaurus is thought to have a turtle like beak with teeth in the back to chew.
Take My Stegosaurus Quiz
True or False:Some scientist think the Stegosaurus has a 2nd brain in its hip region.
(Hover over your answer and I will let you know if you are right or wrong)